Other USA Visas

Other USA Visas

Transit visa

B1 and B-2 Visas: Business and Tourism

A B-1 Visa may be used to travel to the states for business purposes. The beneficiary may attend to business matters such as meetings, court hearings, setting up a business etc, but may not work and incidentally, may not receive remunerated from a U.S source. Thus, in attending to business matters within the states, they may be paid by a foreign employer, but may not be compensated by a U.S entity.

A B-2 visa is required for holiday and tourism purposes.
Nationals from countries such as the UK, entitled to visa waivers only require the above USA business visas if they intend to remain in the USA for more than 90 days or are inadmissible into the United States as a result of criminal conviction, denial of entry/deportation from the US or other applicable contravention.

Although the life span of the B-1/B-2 Visa may last for ten years, the beneficiary may only visit the US for a maximum duration of six months at a time. The visa may be extended for another six months, but the applicant would vigorously need to persuade the Citizenship and Immigration Services that he/she is deserving of this extension due to extenuating circumstances.

Corroborating documents showing concrete ties to one's home country such as those relating to work, residence and family would be important in proving a temporary intent to remain in the US and should be taken to the appointed interview.
In essence, the applicant would be reinforcing evidence of permanent affiliations outside of the United States that he has no intention of abandoning.

It would be important to also take supporting evidence such as a bank statement, showing financial capacity to fund the trip for the intended duration of presence in the United States.
The approval of a visa serves as initial but not final permission to enter the United States. The USA immigration official at the U S port of entry has ultimate discretion as to whether to allow or refuse entry.

Alternatively, the applicant may travel to the states on a visa waiver, but is limited to a maximum duration of stay within the states of ninety days.

C Visas: Transit

C1 Visas - These USA visas are applicable to aliens passing in immediate and continuous transit through the United States. (Foreign representatives passing through the U.S are entitled to C-3 visas).

Immediate transit is defined as reasonably expeditious departure in normal course of travel as elements permit and prearranged itinerary assumes.

The C-1 visa holder is required to possess a ticket or other indicia of transportation to his/her destination and is also required to obtain a letter from the shipping company pledging to pay costs of removal if necessary.

The beneficiary needs to possess adequate funds for the transit and permission to enter the third country.

The period of stay is limited to 29 days.

Applicable regulations allow for the waiver of the visa requirement for a person in immediate and continuous transit through the states on an authorised carrier if the person is, otherwise, admissible into the USA, there is a confirmed onward reservation to the next country, the journey is continued on the same or connecting line within 8 hours or the next available transport. The alien cannot, however, change carrier more than twice.

D Visa: Crew

This visa is afforded to crew serving in good faith in any capacity required for normal operating and service on board a vessel.

This includes people employed by the owners or concessionaire and trainees.

The nature of the employee's duties, when those duties are performed and whether the employee has a permanent connection with the carrier and whether his/her employment is required for the vessel's operation are factors that are considered in determining whether an employee is entitled to D visa status.

There are two types of this visa category, individual D visas and crew list visa. There are also D-1 visas (which apply to crews on all types of carriers except U.S based fishing vessels) and D-2 visas for USA based fishing vessels temporarily visiting Guam.

The period for admission on this visa is 29 days.

I Visa: Media

This category of visa may be used by foreign representatives of the media (foreign press, film and other information media) for the execution of media projects in the United States. The visa will not be issued to representatives of film production and distribution unless the material is informational or educational in nature.

The I visa beneficiary must be entering the states to engage solely in the particular media vocation.

There must be reciprocity of this category of workers between the United States and the foreign country. The UK has established such a program with the USA.

The visa holder may be admitted for the duration of the work to be executed in the United States. There is no limitation on the amount of extensions, thus the beneficiary may remain in the states indefinitely. The visa is extended in one year instalments.

The spouse and child under 21 and unmarried may accompany or follow to join the principal visa holder and may remain in the states for as long as the I visa beneficiary is in status.

R Visa: Religious Worker

This type of visa is for foreign ministers. This includes deacons, practitioners of Christian Science and officers of the Salvation Army. The visa category also extends to benefit people working in a professional capacity in a religious occupation or vocation.

Religious occupation is defined as activity which relates to traditional religious functions e.g. translators, religious broadcasters, workers in religious care centres/hospitals except if they are performing lay work, cantors, liturgical workers. Nurses, clerks, fundraisers or maintenance workers do not qualify for this category of USA visas.

Religious vocation is pertinent to traditional religious positions such as monks and nuns.

This visa also applies to persons working for religious organisations in religious occupations or vocations and who for two years immediately preceding the application has been a member of the religious domination having a bona fide non-profit religious organisation in the U.S.

Entry on this visa is limited to five years.

Spouses and children may accompany or follow to join the visa holder on R-2 status.

P-1 Visa: Entertainment & Athletics

The P-1 visa is afforded to athletes who perform individually or as part of a team and maintain international recognition (P-1A) and entertainers that perform as an essential or integral part of an internationally recognised entertainment group (P-1B). Each member of the entertainment group must have had a sustained and substantial relationship with the group over a period of at least one year.

 International recognition requires a high level of achievement evidenced by a degree of skill and recognition substantially above that ordinarily encountered to the extent that such achievement is renowned, leading or well known in more than one country. 

An athletic team or entertainment group consists of more than one individual but may be as few as two individuals. If a solo artist or performer usually performs with backing singers or musicians the act can be classified as a group if at least seventy five percent of the act have been together for at least one year.
Spouses and children under the age of 21 may enter the US on derivative status

The above outlined details are not exhaustive. Other USA visa categories are also available. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information on USA immigration and visa application procedures

Asking Nicole at “Solutions in Law” to help us, was the best thing we could have ever done. When we were at our lowest point thinking that there was only a tiny possibility of attaining a US visa, due to inadmissibility reasons, she gave us hope. With her positive attitude and calming influence, she explained the process and provided us with factual information and an “outside in” perspective.
Within half an hour of talking to her, our spirits were lifted and within 3 weeks we had our visa. I would recommend her to anyone.

AS - Lincolnshire: (Ineligibility into the US L-2 visa application). The client opted for anonymity as a result of the nature of the case

The thing that immediately struck me about Nicole was how approachable she is – you can actually get to speak to her on the 'phone, unlike other solicitors. Nicole’s calm manner and inside-out knowledge in this specialist field was very reassuring, especially as the whole process was stressful with a great deal riding on the US Embassy’s final decision.

Nicole really helped me through the whole process and there were times she was more of a psychiatrist than a solicitor, but she takes everything in her stride.

I now have a ten year visa for work purposes to the USA and I will always highly regard Nicole’s professionalism blended with her approachable manner.

(Ineligibility into the US B1/B2 visa application). Client opted for anonymity as a result of the nature of the case
For personal advice please contact Solutions In Law Ltd for a consultation with one of our US immigration lawyers
020 7268 4859

Send us a message

Share by: